Whether you’re looking to gain new digital analytics skills or to prove your ability to prospective clients, gaining Google Analytics certification is well worth your while. Here’s how to get certified:
Step 1: Sign up to Google Partners
Google Partners is the online vehicle for Google’s interactions and collaborations with digital marketers and agencies. Only signed-up Google Partners can take the Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ), so you’ll need to apply to join. Step this way to get your free account.
Step 2: Do your homework
You’ll need a comprehensive working knowledge of digital analytics and the Google Analytics platform to pass the GAIQ exam. Google’s own guidance and courses are an obvious revision starting point, both for newcomers to Google Analytics and for experienced users. You’ll need to cover all the subject matter from the following Google IQ Courses:
- Google Analytics for Beginners
- Advanced Google Analytics
Of course, if you want to thoroughly learn and understand a subject, you’ll probably need to explore beyond the course content. Here are some free resources that will help you master Google Analytics:
- Target Internet Data & Analytics resources – our library of guides, articles and podcasts will help you broaden your knowledge.
- You can also sign up for Target Internet’s online digital marketing courses. We have a whole host of Google analytics specific Modules to not only help you to pass the exam but to give you really practical hands-on guidance on using and understanding Google Analytics. Check out our Free 14 day Trial
- Take a mock test – students who fail the GAIQ must wait seven days before they can re-take the test, so we recommend practising with an unofficial mock exam provider first.
- Use forums for help – struggling to wrap your head around that pesky tracking code? Unsure how to set a Goal? If you’re having issues with a Google Analytics feature, try asking for help on one of the many forums dedicated to the tool.
- The Google Analytics YouTube channel – subscribing is a sure way to keep your YouTube homepage populated with fresh GA content – which is a great way to spur yourself on to keep revising.
- User case studies – these case studies show some of the different ways Google Analytics is being used to good effect. If you’re a newbie, this resource will help you understand the practical applications of Google Analytics which may come up in the GAIQ exam.
Step 3: Take the Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ) exam
The GAIQ exam is modular, so you can take the exam one topic at a time. To get started:
- Go to Google Partners
- Click “Certifications”
- Click “See exams”
- Hover over an exam section and click “Exam Details”
- Click “Take Exam”
- The exam will now start in your web browser
As soon as you start an exam, a 90-minute timer starts counting down. There’s no way to pause the timer till the exam finishes.
You’ll need a score of 80% or higher to pass; if you fail, you’ll have to wait seven days before you can try again.
Once you’ve passed you’ll receive a unique GAIQ certificate, and your Google Partners profile will be updated to reflect your certification status.